- What are EarthLink's incoming (POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) email server settings?
- What options do I have for setting up a new password?
- I can receive email, but not send it. What should I do?
- Where can I check my EarthLink email online?
- Can I check my EarthLink email both online and in an email program?
- Why does my email disappear off the server when I use an email program?
- How much storage do I have online?
- How many email addresses can I have with my EarthLink account?
- How can I block spam?
- My friend says their domain is being blocked by EarthLink, how do I get their domain unblocked?
For step-by-step help setting up your email program, visit our Setting Up Your Email Program page.
|SMTP requires authentication||
YES: Complete EarthLink email address and password
YES: Complete MindSpring email address and password
YES: Complete OneMain email address and password
EarthLink’s incoming (POP3) email server is based on your email address.
EarthLink’s outgoing (SMTP) email server is the same, regardless of your email address. The outgoing mail server is smtpauth.earthlink.net and it always requires authentication.
Most email programs have an option for outgoing email that says “My outgoing server requires authentication”. Check that option and then enter in your entire email address and password.
You may also have to change your email program’s outgoing SMTP port to 587. The option to change your outbound port number can usually be found under the Advanced tab in your email program’s account section.
You can change your password with us anytime you like. We recommend frequently changing passwords to prevent your account being compromised by guessing your existing password. The more complex you make your password, the harder it will be to guess.
Minimum Number of Characters: 8 (We recommend 8. While you can use as few as 6, EarthLink highly recommends using at least 8 characters.)
Maximum Number of Characters: 12
The following letters, numbers and special characters are available.
Letters: A - Z
Numbers: 0 - 9
Special Characters: ! @ # $ % ^ ( ) + = . , - _
Using Special Characters is highly recommended as it adds an additional layer of security to someone randomly guessing your password.
Additionally, passwords are Case Sensitive. You can add Upper and lowercase characters to make your password even more secure.
You can change your password on your EarthLink MyAccount page at http://myaccount.earthlink.net. After you change your password, It will take a few minutes for your password to reset in our system. Generally this will happen in 5 minutes or less,
Check to make sure that your email program has the outgoing (SMTP) sever set up correctly.
- The Outgoing SMTP server should be smtpauth.earthlink.net (same for all email addresses)
- Put a check in the box for “My Outgoing SMTP server requires authentication” (or something similar) and enter your entire email address and password for authentication.
- Set the Outgoing SMTP port number to 587. This is usually found under your email software’s Advanced Account settings section.
Check your EarthLink email at http://webmail.earthlink.net
Sign in with your full email address and password.
Yes. To download email messages to your email program and also leave them on Web Mail, set your program’s Advanced Account settings to “Leave a copy of messages on the server" (or something similar).
Note: Doing this may leave email messages on Web Mail until you delete them from Web Mail. EarthLink members are entitled to a lot of space on Web Mail, but it's not unlimited.
Make sure that you occasionally delete some messages from Web Mail, or your mailbox will become full and stop receiving emails. (We'll let you know before this happens.)
By default most email programs automatically download and delete emails from the Net, so that they're not on Web Mail anymore.
To change this, set your email program’s Advanced Account settings to “Leave a copy of messages on the server" (or something similar).
EarthLink currently offers 100MB of storage per email address.
Most EarthLink access accounts offer 8 email addresses. Some email-only accounts offer fewer.
To see how many addresses you have available with your account visit My Account page at http://myaccount.earthlink.net.
EarthLink’s spamBlocker automatically blocks a lot of spam, and offers different levels of spam protection.
spamBlocker’s Medium setting (on by default) blocks most known spam, while the High setting only allows email from senders in your Address Book.
When spamBlocker is set to High, you'll be alerted when someone emails you who is not in your Address Book. You can then approve the message (and optionally automatically add them to the Address Book).
To adjust your spamBlocker settings:
- Sign in to Web Mail: http://webmail.earthlink.net
- Click the Edit link next to spamBlocker in the column on the left of the screen.