- High Speed
- Web Hosting
- Contact Us
- Known Outages
- Article ID: 35542
- Last modified date: November 7, 2011 11:11
This article gives general password tips; like how to pick a good password, or keep it secure. If you don't know your password, or would like to change it, see the appropriate item below:
- I don't know my password
If you forgot your password, you'll need to create a new one. Go to the Password Reset Tool for more information.
- I want to change my password
If you know your password and want to change it, sign in to My Account, select your email profile, then edit the password.
General Password Tips
- Did you know your password is case sensitive? Make sure your Caps Lock button is OFF.
- Sign in problems are frequently typos - type slowly.
- If you're using the keys on the right side of your keyboard,
make sure the Number Lock button is ON.
- If you recently changed your password, it can take up to 20 minutes for it to reset in our system.
Password Security Tips
- Don't use passwords that are easily accessible personal information; such as address, phone number, date of birth, etc.
- Make your passwords at least six characters and a combination of numbers and uppercase and lowercase letters. (If you use a common word, try adding a number for a letter, like "E4rthlink".)
- Don't use the same passwords for multiple places. Reusing passwords, although tempting, is a security risk. When hackers get a password, they try it on hundreds of sites to see where it works.
- Don't give your password to anyone.
- Change your passwords frequently.
Once you've updated your password:
- It can take up to 20 minutes for it to reset in our system.
- The next time you try to connect to the Internet or check your email, you may be told that your password is incorrect. Simply type in your new password.